Once an essential fixture in every home, fireplaces are not found as frequently in the modern home. Luckily, you can enjoy fascinating flames and optional heat in any room of your house with an electric fireplace. These easy-to-install units run on electricity and require no venting. You’ll also save yourself the work of stockpiling wood, tending to burning logs, and cleaning up soot and ashes.
Wouldn’t it be great if you had your own fireplace at home? Some homeowners are lucky enough to have a built-in fireplace, many can’t have this luxury. In some cases, having a fireplace built would be an extremely costly affair and, in other cases, it’s simply not possible as is the case with apartments.
Fortunately, technology has entered the field of home heating and now any home, large or small, can have an electric fireplace. The best electric fireplaces give you the ambiance of a real fireplace, without the effort, ashy mess or potential hazard of a real fire. If you’ve been dreaming of having the comfort and warmth of a fireplace in your home, take a look at our selection of electric fireplaces and turn any room in your home, into your own mountain lodge.
5 Best Electric Fireplaces of 2021:
Our number one choice of electric fireplace based on function, aesthetics and value has to be the Sideline 80004. It’s an outstanding model with a tonne of options meaning you’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to setting the mood. Its sleek frame features a huge viewing area, so you get the most out of its aesthetics.
This model comes with both glass crystals and a faux log set – the logs will give you a more traditional look while the glass crystals make it more contemporary.
While this model is designed for recessing into the wall, you can also wall-mount it – great if you’re in a rental property or don’t want to get a builder in. It comes with glass crystals and a faux log set, so you can choose whichever you prefer when you set it up. It heats a medium-sized room quickly, and scores highly on its efficiency.The only thing it’s missing is a thermostat, but those who’ve bought this model don’t cite that as an issue.
Although this model is primarily designed for recessed mounting, it can also be wall-mounted, which makes it ideal if you don’t want to touch your walls or you’re in a rental.
- Very stylish
- Great flame effects
- Heats well
- Easy to install
Instantly upgrade the ambiance (and heat) in any room of your house with this electric fireplace from R.W. Flame. Measuring, 50 x 18 x 3.98 inches, you can opt to mount it in the wall for a built-in look, or simply hang it on the wall to enjoy glowing flames in 12 different eye-catching shades. The glowing LED fire bed can also be customized with 12 different color options, making it easy to mix and match flame and rock colors for a look that is unique to your space and ambiance. It also comes available in a variety of other sizes, ranging from 30 to 60 inches.
The heater comes complete with touch-screen buttons on the front of the unit, and an included remote control to help you control flame brightness and colors. In addition, this wall-mounted electric fireplace is equipped with a heater to beat the chill in cold weather. Although the heater lacks a thermostat, it can be set to the lowest (750 watts) or highest (1500 watts) power settings. Customers note that although they are satisfied with how well this unit is able to warm a room, it’s not possible to actually direct the warm air flow when using the heater.
- Easy to install and uninstall
- 100% energy-saving LED technology
- Can be used with or without heat
- Needs to be built-in
For those looking for a retro-looking electric fireplace, this TURBRO Suburbs TS23 Electric Fireplace Heater is as fascinating as it is functional. This is a free-standing fireplace that looks like an old-style fireplace stove. It has a realistic flame effect that is adjustable and an automatic shut-off in the case of tipping or overheating.
The 3-sided design gives you a panoramic view of the fire within and it’s also cost-effective to run and energy-efficient. This electric fireplace is ideal for medium living spaces or take it to your cabin in the woods for heat without the need to stack mountains of wood around you.
- Ideal for medium-living spaces
- Cost-Effective & Energy Saving
- Some assembly required
Magikflame electric fireplaces shine in terms of luxury aesthetics and technology. The flames deliver a crisp visual of various types of fires – not just a single flame. This can set the tone for any evening, whether you’re relaxing from a hard day of work or entertaining during a holiday or seasonal party. The Artemis is one of their most notable fireplaces, and for good reason.
Operate the white electric fireplace with your iPhone from any room for the utmost convenience. Simplify your experience with bluetooth technology to change the flame appearance or adjust the crackling log sounds for the ideal audible experience and volume level. The tech is constantly updating and so the fireplace always stays cutting-edge. There is no additional cost for upgrades for the life of the unit.
Welcome to the luxury end of electric fireplaces that has also been featured in Hearth & Home as an innovative product in the specialty retail electric fireplace category.
- Infrared quartz heat helps maintain the natural humidity in the room
- Flame effect can be operated with or without heat
- No mess or smoke
- Short power cord limits where it can be connected
The PuraFlames Alice 40″ Recessed Electric Fireplace can be flush mounted into many existing fireplaces for a beautiful look and cozy ambiance in your space. This fireplace has two different connection options: plug in or hard wire into the electrical system.
This fireplace from PuraFlame is designed to provide you with the look of real flames from a woodburning unit without the maintenance of cleanup. It has the following 4 different flame settings: yellow with blue light and low brightness, all yellow, yellow with blue light and high brightness, and all blue brightness.
- Includes a remote control
- Provides a realistic look to add a coziness to your space
- Can be used year-round with or without heat
- Unit is larger and heavier than many other options
- Remote may not work well from certain distances or angles
Electric Fireplaces Features
When selecting our top picks for electric fireplaces, we looked into five features, including installation, flame settings, heat control, and safety.
- Installation: While electric fireplaces don’t typically require professional services, the ease of installation will depend on the type of fireplace you purchase. For example, filling an existing fireplace area with an electric insert should be straightforward, but carving out space for a recessed mount might take some extra planning.
- Flame settings: Flame settings include everything from flicker speed to flame brightness and will vary greatly based on the selected model. Some electric fireplaces offer variable flicker speed while others may only have an on and off switch.
- Heat control: A benefit of electric fireplaces is the ability to control the temperature of the heat that’s produced. Some electric fireplaces on the market offer two or three heat settings while others provide an adjustable thermostat.
- Safety: The good part of owning an electric fireplace is that there’s no need to worry about dozing off in front of the flame. Not only is the flame contained, but some electric fireplaces even offer a built-in timer that automatically shuts the unit down after a certain period.
Why trust us?
We have been evaluating electric fireplaces for several years now. During this time, we have spent over 100 hours comparing fireplaces to find the best models on the market. Our most recent test evaluated ten units ranging from portable fireplaces, wall-mounted units, faux realistic fireplaces, and fireplace media centers. To determine the best of the best electric fireplaces, we initially found models that had high star rating scores from Amazon users.
After gathering the best choices, we scoped out user manuals, manufacturer websites, and customer reviews to find products that worked reliably. It was important to us that the products were safe to use, so we listed each product’s safety features and eliminated any products that had serious safety concerns. We also looked for models that looked good and were convenient to use. When we had further questions, we would contact manufacturers and talk to current owners of electric fireplaces for further expertise.
How much do electric fireplaces cost?
The electric fireplaces we looked at cost roughly between $200 and $700. That’s quite a wide range and this means that no matter your budget, you should be able to find an electric fireplace to suit you. There are some smaller fireplaces, ideal for small rooms, which can be found for just over $200.
If you want to heat a larger room or want the fireplace to be decorative, you’ll likely pay anywhere from $400 to $600. Many of these large fireplaces also serve as media centers, allowing you to combine two bits of furniture into one purchase.
Electric Fireplaces Tips
- Measure the space where you want your fireplace to go, including clearance of nearby windows, doorways, or walkways. You don’t want to find out too late that your fireplace is too large — or too small — for the location.
- If your space is limited, a wall-mounted or corner unit gives the benefit of a fireplace without requiring much room.
- Make sure your home’s electrical wiring can handle the fireplace. Most electric fireplaces simply plug into a regular outlet. However, some require installation that is more extensive.
- What is your decorating style? There are electric fireplaces in every design, ranging from primitive to modern.
- Most electric fireplaces have 700 to 1,500 watts. For a small room, 700 watts is sufficient. But you’ll want a 1,500-watt unit if your room is large.
Electric fireplaces are a massive hit with a perfect technology that meets all your needs. Not only this, the stunning electric fireplace comes with a realistic, efficient, smart technology which helps in complete heating of the entire room with fewer charges.
So if you have been seeking a practical, clean, and green fireplace as the perfect source of supplemental heat, then get your hands on an electric fireplace and enjoy the heated room!