This top-rated pencil sharpener runs on AA batteries and can sharpen a dull pencil in just three seconds flat. It has a specially engineered spiral drill that won’t jam up and can sharpen thousands of pencils without getting dull. Plus, there’s an auto-stop function that prevents the sharpener from working if the lid is open, and you’ll always be able to see when the transparent reservoir needs to be emptied. The manufacturer even offers a 100 percent money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with the product.
But the type of pencil sharpener you need can vary based on what you’re using it for. It can make finding the perfect sharpener a real pain in the butt.
That’s why I wrote this guide detailing the best pencil sharpeners for every scenario. To save time I’ll share my top picks for the best manual and electric sharpeners directly below. But keep reading to see my other suggestions along with detailed reviews for each one.
5 Best Pencil Sharpeners of 2021:
The Bostitch Personal Electric Pencil Sharpener is a very popular sharpener on this list, and the fact that has consistently impressed buyers so often is a testament to its quality. This device not only boasts of a space-saving design but it is also equipped with tamper-proof MagnaSafe Technology which prevents the sharpener from working when the shavings tray is not in place – this feature, which is highly appreciated by users, prevents the pencil shavings getting everywhere and making a mess if the tray is not properly inserted.
The tray in question is a high capacity shavings tray. You won’t have to worry about the tray filling up fast, especially because the shavings are typically extra thin, occupying less space. Due to the time it takes to fill up, you will not have to clean the tray very often. The Bostitch Personal Electric Pencil Sharpener also lasts four times longer than the average electric pencil sharpener thanks to its HHC Cutter technology. It’s long life and durability is one of the key ways this pencil sharpener has endeared itself to many.
- Longer life than most electric sharpeners
- Stall free operation
- Compact design
- Sensitive to pressure
If you’re an artist whose shading and sketching requires you to sharpen your pencil continuously or a teacher whose students are continually needing to keep their pencil crayons crisp, then the X-ACTO School Pro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener may be precisely what you need. This sharpener features an adjustable rotating contraption that allows it to sharpen up to six different-sized pencils.
You don’t have to worry about this sharpener becoming dull after a few uses as it comes equipped with a sharp flyaway helical cutter. The blade is durable and will last about 33 times longer than a traditional sharpener. The helical cutter is also strategically designed to keep the edges on your pencils the perfect shape for writing and drawing. However, some customers mention that their smaller pencils can sometimes become oddly shaped.
Don’t worry about going overboard and ruining your pencils with the X-ACTO School Pro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener as it features a built-in mechanism that stops the movement of the blade once the pencil has reached its optimal level of sharpness. This electric pencil sharpener also comes with an auto-reset feature, which ensures that the sharpener automatically stops when it is overheating. This makes this sharpener safe for children to use as well.
Although the X-ACTO School Pro Classroom Electrical Pencil Sharpener is powerful, it still remains relatively quiet as the motor is strategically placed inside a durable console for a silent sharpen. This sharpener measures 8.5-by-8-by-5.7 inches and weighs 1 pound.
- Safe for kids
- Auto-reset feature stops sharpener from overheating
- Automatically stops sharpening when pencil is sharp
- Compatible with six different pencil sizes
- Smaller pencils can become oddly shaped
These manual pencil sharpeners come in a double holes type design. This design is suitable for regular size and bigger size pencils. Moreover, it comes in a triangular shape along with a cover and reservoir. The reservoir makes sure the sharpeners do not create a mess. Generally, people use this product for office and school use. The box includes 12 pencil sharpeners in various colors. You can find different colors like green, blue, red, and yellow.
The key component of these sharpeners is the blade. It comes with a rust-proof blade for effective results. It is quite easy to use and clean the sharpeners. Just take out the cover after you are done with sharpening. Hence, there will be no injury to the fingers.
- Rust-proof blade
- Available in different colors
- Suitable for school and office use
- Can break pencil when the blade becomes too dull
This is another exciting electric pencil sharpener with a powerful motor. It is a heavy-duty sharpener with a durable and reliable helical blade. It sharpens pretty fast in 5-10 seconds. Besides, the sharpener features auto-stop to protect the pencil lead. This is an automatic pencil sharpener that works once you plug the pencil inside.
It also stops automatically when sharpened or when the lid is open. This is a great feature that enhances personal safety. Moreover, the sharpener offers flexible power options. You can use AA batteries or connect directly and use AC power.
Overall, this is a large capacity to sharpen pencils over 3000 times before emptying the shavings reservoir. The sharpener is also pretty easy to clean and maintain.
- Easy to clean due to easy opening reservoir
- Large capacity reservoir
- Safe due to auto-stop
- Fast sharpening due to a powerful motor
- Bit expensive
The CNASA Electric Shark Pencil Sharpener is an excellent pencil sharpener for kids. It resembles the appearance of a shark or whale head, which makes it fun for kids. This sharpener also has a built-in safety mechanism to ensure that your child does not get injured while using it.
To operate this sharpener, you must press your pencil down into the opening of the sharpener. As you release pressure, the rotating blade slows down. This is great for kids as this sharpener will not continuously sharpen at its full potential when your child is not ready. It only takes about five quick seconds for your pencil to sharpen completely, so your child won’t have to wait very long.
Some customers mention that the pencils don’t reach the level of sharpness that their older children prefer; however, other customers see this as beneficial because a duller pencil is more child-safe.
The CNASA Electric Shark Pencil Sharpener is compatible with pencils that are 6 to 8 millimeters wide, which is equivalent to the standard size of a pencil. Customers have mentioned that they prefer this because although wider pencils are more convenient for smaller children to handle, the small and tapered diameter of the sharpener’s entrance ensures that tiny fingers won’t easily fit through.
- Features a kid-friendly design
- Charges via two AA batteries or a USB cable
- Sharpening triggered by pressure from the pencil
- Does not sharpen to a very sharp point
Features To Look For In Electric Pencil Sharpeners
- Type of Power Source – Most electric pencil sharpeners are powered by batteries; these tend to last for an impressive amount of time, depending on how often they are used. Another common source of power are USB or cable powered sharpeners.
- Quality – Beyond looking at the affordability of an item, an essential feature to consider is the quality of the item in question. A good marker of a quality item is its durability; a long-lasting pencil sharpener is a lot better than a cheaper alternative which you’ll have to replace every other month or so.
- Portability – The size and portability of a pencil sharpener is another feature to look for. The more portable an electric sharpener, the more efficient it is. A good option is one that can easily fit into a pencil case or any other casing. What’s more, the smaller options can easily blend into any surrounding – in the office, at school or in a studio, without being too noticeable.
- When you insert a pencil in an electric pencil sharpener, don’t push too hard. If you apply too much pressure, you can damage the blade.
- If children are using an electric pencil sharpener, make sure that they don’t insert the eraser end of the pencil into the sharpener. Not only can the metal damage the blade and motor, but this can cause injuries as well.
- If your electric pencil sharpener has multiple holes for different size pencils, make sure to choose the right one. Your pencil won’t be sharpened as effectively if it doesn’t fit securely in the sharpener.
- Avoid sharpening softer writing tools like crayons, chalk, or waxy pencils in an electric pencil sharpener. They’ll likely break and wind up damaging the sharpener.